Depression is such a touchy subject to talk about. It’s not easy to just “snap yourself out of it”. Believe me I’ve had my fair share of depression and it is the worst feeling in the world. With my depression, I felt bored and anxious at the same time. I was bored with my life and I kept thinking “when will this be over”. I couldn’t sleep at night, I didn’t eat right. And because i wasn’t sleeping right, I wasn’t eating right, and i wasn’t able to make clear decisions. I didn’t harm myself, but I did a lot of mental harm to myself, and I hurt the ones I love. I was letting the demons in my head make the decisions and I was accepting their ridiculous thoughts and I began to accept the negative thoughts. I was a mess. I felt un-motivated. Sleeplessness is common and the worst thing that someone could do is define that illness as themselves. But the fact of the matter is, its not who they are, its not who you are. My word of advice to anyone who feels lost and/ or hopeless, is that you should do these things:
1) get help immediately, if you don’t, it could lead to even more problems down the road. SO now should be the time that you should really stop letting the demons control how to act, how to feel, what to think, and fill your head with with doubts and negative thoughts.
2) Set it apart from who you are as a person.
3) Take care of yourself, Focus on who you were before your depression hit.
4) find something about yourself that you love.
5) Make an effort to smile, when you smile, your whole face changes and you look awesome to be around.
6) Try to journal, documenting how you feel and recording everyday during your journey to recovery is ideal and could really improve your state of mood.
7) find someone whom you can trust in and hangout with them, talk to them.
8) let yourself have fun, enjoy every moment, put yourself out there and realize the amazing person you are becoming.
9) Learn the power of self-love, try to love yourself for who you are and who God made you. Let go and let God work through you.
10) Try to find out who you are and what you like.
11) write down what your hopes and dreams are, what you want to accomplish in you lifetime, where you want to travel- sometimes keeping an open-mind to all of these things you want to do, is all you need to remind you to keep going.
12) working out is also a great way to channel your depression outwards; try doing some yoga as it has relaxing benefits to your overall health and could improve your state-of-being.
13) Ask others how they try to stay positive; maybe their tips could help you and maybe their actions may inspire you to become a better person.
14) try reading books, there are a lot of self- help books out there by famous actors and actresses, reading does alot as it did for me in my rough time. One book I would definitely recommend to everyone is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It is an amazing book about finding the treasure that lies within. Go on to Amazon to get yourself a copy of this amazing book from one of my favorite authors, Paulo Coelho.
So this fall semester, I’ve been taking a Psychology course at school and my professor told us one day that Depression is our own reaction to the things that are out of our control. So basically if theres something in your life that happens( i,e death, sickness, weather conditions, etc), they’re not necessarily your fault, its just your mind’s way of reacting to whatever happened in your life. I was with a friend earlier and her and i had a heart to heart telling each other our stories of depression and anxiety and she brought up a great point, she said ” My illness is a part of who I am, but it doesn’t define who I am”, I thought what she said was powerful. To say that your illness is a part of who you are is great but to decide whether or not it defines you, makes it greater haha. All in all, don’t allow yourself to feel this way. its toxic and you just have to find a way out of it. God works in mysterious ways and sometimes even uses our own situations to not only, help us, but to also give us strength and to use that situation to change our attitudes. The bible talks about depression, and in the book of Psalms, there is 2 verses that really stand out to me. ” Trust in the Lord, with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding, In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will make straight your paths.”. This is one of my favorite bible passages because God is basically saying to us to not worry at all, that he has our back, and will definitely push us in the right direction, all we have to do is follow that path that he put us on in the first place. It doesn’t matter if we feel like we are spiraling downwards in life, what God is telling us is ” Hold on, my child, I will make your paths straight, just as long as you put your trust in me”. It doesn’t matter what we have done in our past, what we could’ve done could in no way stop the love that the Lord constantly gives us on a daily basis. ACCEPT THAT LOVE! Accept the Love that God gives you, Let him work through you, in your life and through anyone and everyone you know!
Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference. amen.